Wildcard Match provides an enhanced
pathlib library in order to provide file matching and globbing that more closely follows the features found in Bash. In some ways these libraries are similar to Python's builtin libraries as they provide a similar interface to match, filter, and glob the file system. But they also include a number of features found in Bash's globbing such as backslash escaping, brace expansion, extended glob pattern groups, etc. They also add a number of new useful functions as well, such as
globmatch which functions like
fnmatch, but for paths.
Wildcard Match also adds a file search utility called
wcmatch that is built on top of
globmatch. It was originally written for Rummage, but split out into this project to be used by other projects that may find its approach useful.
Bash is used as a guide when making decisions on behavior for
glob. Behavior may differ from Bash version to Bash version, but an attempt is made to keep Wildcard Match up with the latest relevant changes. With all of this said, there may be a few corner cases in which we've intentionally chosen to not exactly mirror Bash. If an issue is found where Wildcard Match seems to deviate in an illogical way, we'd love to hear about it in the issue tracker.
A quick overview of Wildcard Match's Features:
- Provides an interface comparable to Python's builtin in
- Allows for a much more configurable experience when matching or globbing with many more features.
- Adds support for
- Adds support for escaping characters with
- Add support for POSIX style character classes inside sequences:
[[:alnum:]], etc. The
Clocale is used for byte strings and Unicode properties for Unicode strings.
- Adds support for brace expansion:
ab ac ad.
- Adds support for expanding
~usernameto the appropriate user path.
- Adds support for extended match patterns:
- Adds ability to match path names via the path centric
- Provides a
pathlibvariant that uses Wildcard Match's
globlibrary instead of Python's default.
- Provides an alternative file crawler called
- And more…
Installation is easy with pip:
pip install wcmatch
fnmatch: A file name matching library.
glob: A file system searching and file path matching library.
pathlib: A implementation of Python's
pathlibthat uses our own
wcmatch: An alternative file search library built on